HISTORY BETWEEN ZIMBABWE AND ZAMBIA.
Written 18 June 2021.
1. Kenneth Kuanda or KK was great friends with Nixon, Vorster and Kissinger, and he did not want Smith defeated militarily by ZANLA (ZANU PF armed wing) and ZIPRA (ZAPU armed wing) because he felt that a black victory in Zimbabwe would lead to the liberation in South Africa as well, which would take white property rights and destroy the white owned Rhodesian and South African industries which his country was greatly dependent on.
As a result, in 1972 when Rhodesia began to suffer serious losses on the battlefield, KK, began to pressure ZANLA and ZIPRA to stop fighting and to negotiate with Smith in the infamous détente.
2. ZIPRA, which was led by Joshua Nkomo, a great friend of KK, obliged, but ZANLA did not, which apparently upset KK and his white masters.
3. Soon after in November of 1974, an uprising in ZANLA dubbed the Nhari uprising was orchestrated by the Rhodesian intelligence and it spilt over into Zambia and massively derailed the ZANLA war effort from Mozambique.
4. That uprising was eventually ended by an operation known as gukuhundi 1 (operation “the early rains cleaning out the chuff”) in which the leaders of Nhari were ambushed by ZANLA forces and Mozambican soldiers after being tricked to come for negotiations in a Mozambican ZANLA camp.
During the ambush, the Nhari leaders and about 200 men were captured, tried and sentenced to death for defection.
5. Soon after the Nhari trials, Herbert Chitepo was assassinated in a car bomb on the 18th of March, 1975, which some believe was planted at the Zambian State House, where negotiations to end the war were taking place and Chitepo was supposedly not acquiescing.
6. Chitepo’s death was used by Zambian authorities to arrest and purge the top ZANU PF and ZANLA leadership in Zambia. The lucky ones escaped Lusaka in the middle of the night to set up the camps that were in Zambia in Mozambique, and that temporarily stopped the liberation war in Rhodesia as KK and his masters wanted.
7. Zambian authorities allegedly tortured ZANLA fighters in prison, forcing them to confess to killing Chitepo before those same authorities released the bogus Chitepo Report in July, 1975.
They then launched a sham commission to establish who caused the death of the ZANU chairman.
8. A few months later, OAU leaders realized that they had been duped by Kissinger, Vorster and Smith who had used the break in the war to regroup and get mercenaries from the US, Europe and Israel, paid by the US military and CIA. These 13000 mercenaries came and fought for Smith in Rhodesia in an effort to maintain white supremacy in Southern Africa, the Persian Gulf of Strategic Minerals.
9. Zambia would later release ZANU and ZANLA leaders on the behest of the OAU. With that the war resumed, but not before the 11th of September, 1975, when 11 ZANLA fighters were massacred and 13 others injured at Mboroma camp by Zambian soldiers, after the ZANLA fighters tried to save some of their colleagues who had been kidnapped by a ZAPU-Frolizi faction.
10. From 1977, the liberation war went into full swing and liberation fighters in the Zambian and Mozambique sectors began to win the war by making many parts of northern and eastern Rhodesia, liberated zones and no-go-areas for Rhodesian forces.
11. This would eventually result in liberation fighters infiltrating Salisbury to bomb the main fuel storage tanks at Shell in Workington, causing panic. After, Whites deserted the army and began mass white migration from Rhodesia to South Africa and Australia.
12. From these clear signs of the imminent defeat of the Rhodesian forces, the west then pressured KK and other Frontline leaders [whose economies were suffering from the sanctions on Rhodesia] to force Zimbabwean liberation leaders to attend the Swiss and Lancaster House negotiations or risk being expelled from bases in those frontline states.
13. In Angola, after Zimbabwean independence, KK also supported the training of FLNA rebels, in assistance to the CIA and apartheid government in an effort to overthrow the MPLA, Angolan communist government.
14. Then there is the issue of Kaunda colluding with ZIPRA, the western BMATT (British Military Training Assistance) and Russia, to overthrow the ZANU PF government which led to Gukurahundi.
This fiasco was apparently such a geopolitical, diplomatic nightmare, hence the Chihambakwe and Dumbugena Reports will never see light of day.
15. It’s interesting to note how KK was influenced by Kissinger, Vorster, Smith and the Oppenheimers, to aid imperialism in Southern Africa, and today we have HH being influenced by the Oppenheimer Brenthurst Foundation to establish AFRICOM in Southern Africa.
It says as lot about Zambians and their worship of the white man, hence they failed to fight for their own independence.
By Rutendo Matinyarare, Chairman of ZASM.
Rutendo Bereza Matinyarare.